Wednesday, October 1, 2014

Lizzie Lindsay ~

The one I sing:
CH
Will ye gang to the Highlands, Leezie Lindsay?

Will ye gang to the Highlands with me?
Will ye gang to the Highlands, Leezie Lindsay,
Me bride and me darling to be



Tae gang to the highlands with you sir, 
I don't think that ever could be
For I ken not the land that you live in
Nor knowing the name you go with

Oh lass I think you ken little
If you say that you dinna ken me
For me name is Laird Ronald MacDonald, 
chieftain of high degree

So she's kilted up her skirts of green satin
And she's kilted them up to her knee
And she's gone with Laird Ronald MacDonald
His bride and his darling to be


There's dancing and joy in the heilands
there's piping and gladness and glee.
For MacDonald has brought home Leezie Lindsay,
his bride and his darlin' to be.








 
Traditional, Child Ballad #226
Leezie Lindsay first appears in print in Johnson's Scots Musical Museum (1803). These words are by Robert Burns. Other versions found by Child include Donald of the Isles. A young man of good family disguises himself as a poor Highlander and, while in Edinburgh, courts Leezie Lindsay. He gives a fictitious description of his family, his home, and so on, and introduces himself, asking Leezie to go to the Highlands with him. She is loth to leave the town and the Lowlands to go with a stranger. Her serving-maid urges her to accept the offer and, finally, she does so. During the journey to the Highlands she begins to regret her decision. At the point where she is almost ready to turn back, they either arrive at his home or he takes her up a high hill to view the lands and property which she has gained through following him.
 


Chorus:
Will ye gang tae the highlands, Leezie Lindsay,
Will ye gang tae the highlands wi' me
Will ye gang tae the highlands, Leezie Lindsay
My bride and my darling tae be.

Tae gang tae the heilands wi' you sir,
I dinna ken how that may be
For I ken not the road that I'm going
nor ken I the lad I'm going wi'

Oh Leezie lass, you muan ken little
if you say that ye dinna ken me
For my name is Lord Ronald MacDonald,
a cheiftain of high degree

Oh if you are the laird of MacDonald,
I great yin I ken you muan be
But how can a cheiftain sae mighty
think o' a poor lassie like me

Tae gang tae the heilands wi' you sir,
would bring the saut tear tae my e'e
At leaving the green glens and woodlands
and streams o' my ain country

Oh, I'll show you the red deer a-roamin',
on mountains where waves the tall pine
And as far as the bound of the red deer,
ilk moorland and mountain is mine

A thousand claymores I can muster,
ilk blade and its bearer the same
And when round their cheiftain they rally,
the gallant MacDonald's my name.

She has gotten a gown of green satin,
she has kilted it up tae the knee
And she's off wi' Lord Ronald MacDonald,
his bride and his darling to be.

There's dancing and joy in the heilands,
there's piping and gladness and glee.
For MacDonald has brought home Leezie Lindsay,
his bride and his darlin' to be.
Glossary
ain: own
dinna: do not, don't
e'e: eye
gang: go
ilk: each
ken: know
laird: lord
maun: must
sae: so
saut: salt
tae: to
wi': with
yin: one












No comments:

Post a Comment