Wednesday, October 1, 2014

Ladies of An Tir ~ Lady Dairaine mor o'uHigin (Gael Stirler)

The Ladies of An Tir
Written by and permission given by
Lady Dairaine mor o'uHigin (Gael Stirler)

I'll sing of all I feel inside for the ladies of An Tir,
For they derive their beauty from each season of the year'
I've never seen such virtue, though I've traveled far and near
And all my fortunes I have found in the ladies of An Tir;

In springtime when the cherries bloom though other trees are bare,
Sweet lasses with their cheeks aglow and flowers in their hair,
Sparkle in the morning light that nowhere shines so clear,
As on the rain-washed faces of the ladies of An Tir;

In summertime the leafy bows above their heads entwine,
Beneath their shady palaces on cushions they recline,
Singing at their needlework if you should chance to hear,
You'll surely be enchanted by the ladies of An Tir;

In autumn winds the swirling leaves blown softly from the trees,
Brings to mind the strands of hair floating in the breeze,
A rustle of their satin skirts - their laughter in my ears,
Each falling leaf reminds me of the ladies of An Tir;

In wintertime when all the streets are chocked with hostile rain,
I sit beside the fireplace where lesser men complain,
I look around the festival - the faces I hold dear,
Thank god I spend my yule tide with the ladies of An Tir;

Now brother minstrel heed my words and point your boots northwest,
For beauty, honour, wisdom, An Tir outshines the rest.
For someday you may wear the crown or the laurel of a peer,
Tis better honour to be loved by the ladies of An Tir.


No comments:

Post a Comment