Friday, May 18, 2018

Nightingale Song

Nightingale Song



I was a young and happy lass
Who roamed the hill and dale
And at the dawn i'd sit And sing
With a lonesome nightingale

Will o will o will I be
Free to nest
In the green oak tree
Will o will o will I fly
High above
In the open sky

In winter I was found outside
There singing on the hill
By a lord of great and Ill renown
Who asked me call him will
Up and on his steed we rode,
And trapped within his hand
He brought me to his castle walls
To sing at his demand

Chorus

All winter long he brought me out
To sing for any bread
And silence met so cold and harsh
A palm held overhead
My heart broke soft my skin marked firm
I longed for silence sake
But locked inside a cage of stone
My voice, it would not break.

Chorus

And in the spring the nightingale
Found Nest up on the hill
And lifted up his voice in song
But soon the air went still
Where was the lass who used to sing
He asked the Fox and hare
They said where she had winter slept
Her song clear in the air

Chorus

You will o will you will o will
Came nightingales reply
He grabbed a rope full forty feet
And flew up to her side
He waited on the earth below
And watched her climb by hand
The lord's voice called if I cannot
Have you then no one can.”

Chorus

She fell into the open air
He cut the rope she grasp
before she reached the ground below
Arms caught her safe and fast
Where once a nightingale had stood
Now stood a fair young man
They fled together from the keep
And to the wooded land.

Ch

Now when you walk along the hill
At first light in the dawn
Sometimes you'll hear two voices raise

In nightingale's song

No comments:

Post a Comment