Monday, August 1, 2011

A Valkyrie Song ~ Mikal Hrfspa (Mikal the Ram)

Alone by the fire, a warrior I knew 
Told me this tale, and I pray it is true.

From far Ansteorra our dragon-ship came 
To fight for good Halidar on Lilied plain 
My sword I had lent seeking honor and fame 
Or Odin's great hall in the fray

We charged into battle, the sun beating high 
Our battle-horns sounding a victory nigh 
Our spears crossed their arrows like hawks in the sky 
Leaving many men dead on the way

Sing me no songs of angels I pray 
For a Valkyrie found me in battle that day

The battle was long and the sun was like fire 
The heat drove us down like a funeral pyre 
Though many I'd slain, now my bloodlust did tire 
Struck down by the heat of the day

The battle moved onward from where I was laid 
I drew of my helmet to rest in the shade 
When a soft even tread, like the wind in a glade 
Brought a daughter of Asgard my way

Sing me no songs of angels I pray 
For a Valkyrie found me in battle that day

She gave me cool drink 'till my wits came again 
Be fore I could speak she was gone like the wind 
Had I but died, I could follow her then 
But I lay with the living that day

Long I did search, a full year I have mourned 
And told all my brothers this love I have bourne 
But she is of Asgard, and I of this shore 
So here with my brothers I stay

Sing me no songs of angels I pray 
For a Valkyrie found me in battle that day

True to this dream like the tale I have told 
Close to my heart, a small pouch I still hold 
And in it a lock of her hair pure as gold 
This I carry to battle this day

Alone by the fire 
A warrior I knew 
Told me this tale 
And I pray it is true.....

2 comments:

  1. This a song by Mikal Hrfspa (Mikal the Ram) of Calontir. Here is a link to a clip of him performing the song and his story of its origin: http://chivalry.com/cantaria/lyrics/valkyrie.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It's amazing how far things travel in the SCA. I got this song when I heard it at a campfire and learned it, I don't remember where, 6 years ago. People online have been awesome with information. This song has become one of the favourites in our Barony.

      Delete